This class is designed for people who are ready to move beyond “One Word” and go more in-depth in their daily Bible engagement. In this reading plan, you will cover the entire New Testament, as well as the books of Psalms and Proverbs, in 6 months.
The plan assigns about 2-3 chapters per day. In addition to the tips suggested in the One Word class, here are some more strategies to help you reach your goal of completing this class:
- Share with a trusted friend or family member about your Bible reading plan, so that they can encourage you and hold you accountable. Even better, they can do the reading plan too, so that you have someone to talk with about what you’re learning! You will be amazed at the things God will teach you.
- Environment matters! Brew a good cup of coffee or tea. You can open a window, or turn on so music, or light a candle. Create the kind of atmosphere that helps you relax in the presence of God.
- Find your “chair.” This is your favorite spot to read the Bible, journal, and pray. We are creatures of habit, and this will help you make your time with God part of the routine.
Daily Journaling Plan
- Before you start reading, pray and ask God to give you one sentence while you read.
- Read slowly, without rushing.
- Bible reading is not just about using the intellectual part of your mind; the Bible comes alive when you read it with your imagination and the creative part of your mind.
- As you read, circle, underline, or highlight ideas that are important to you. Feel free to write your own comments and questions in the margins of your Bible.
- When you finish reading, write down one sentence in a journal (or type in in your phone) that captures something you learned. Another option is to write down one verse from the reading that connected with you.
- End your time with God by saying a simple prayer for the day ahead.
When you complete the One Sentence class,
it’s time to move on to the next class!